[PROJ] World UTM in a proper datum

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Mon Apr 19 01:09:04 PDT 2021

Thanks Javier, for the effort of explaining it so clearly to all readers. Two things are missing in your overview, though.

(1) Each lat-lon CRS has 3 different EPSG codes:

  *   2D lat, lon (e.g. WGS84: EPSG:4326)
  *   3D lat, lon, ellipsoidal height (e.g. WGS84: EPSG:4979)
  *   XYZ in metres (e.g. WGS84: EPSG:4978)

NB: XYZ is not a projected CRS and the axis are generally not aligned with the earth surface.

(2) There are four Global Navigation Satellite Systems (official abbreviation: GNSS, but commonly all referred to as GPS):

  *   GPS Navstar by US military with CRS: WGS84
  *   Glonass by Russian military with CRS: PZ-90
  *   Galileo by EU (civilian) with CRS: GTRS
  *   BeiDou by Chinese military with CRS: BDC

The 4 GNSS are managed by organisations of different countries. Using WGS84 as the standard CRS is a political choice. But the choice for WGS84 mostly originates from ignorance about the different world-wide datums. Therefore, the term WGS84 often means: “lat-lon coordinates in any datum, I don’t know which”.

There is a more precise and politically neutral scientific alternative CRS available: ITRS, with most recent realisation ITRF2014 (2D EPSG:9000, 3D EPSG:7912, XYZ EPSG7789). There is no EPSG code for the datum ensemble ITRS, nor projected CRS for ITRF2014 in EPSG.

Jochem