[PROJ] World UTM in a proper datum

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 14:09:26 PDT 2021

Hi Duncan,

WGS84 or EPSG 4326 is a global CRS that uses longitudes and latitudes. It uses the WGS ellipsoid. Distances are measured in degrees. UTM zones for WGS84 (or universal Transverse Mercator) is based on EPSG 4326 and uses meters instead.  Meters North- South are calculated in meters from the equator, as determined by EPSG 4326 and meter EAST - Ouest and determine east and ouest from a specific latitudes as determined by ESPG 4326.  The zones spans 6 degrees.

Geiod on the other hand give you a model of gravity.  Is basically tells you where the average sea level should be anywhere on earth.  There are many models because a)you need to agree on the centre or the earth, you need to agree on the best ellipsoid to use, you need to agree on the average sea level, you need to measure the gravity on earth.  The centre of the earth and the level of gravity change as models get better with newer data (ei satellites data vs ground level data)... Therefore, models change as the knowledge improves.

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux