[PROJ] PROJ 8

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Thu Feb 18 01:50:37 PST 2021

Roger,

The release is scheduled for March 1st and I will put out a release candidate within the next 2 or 3 days. As usual.

The schedule for upcoming release can be found here https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/milestones. I will add the next years' worth of releases soon, but generally we do bi-monthly  releases with alternating patch and minor version releases. Release candidates go out roughly a week before the release. We don't do alpha or beta versions. For that you will have to track changes in master. You probably already knew that.

The major change this time is the removal of proj_api.h. This has been announced well in advance so I don't think a larger time gap between RC and final release will make any difference if downstream projects haven't adapted yet.

I don't anticipate any major issues with the upcoming release but since this is a major version bump there is always a risk. I would expect any problems to be related to changes in the autotools/CMake setups, those are usually found quickly by the packagers and easily resolved. In case something larger surfaces we can postpone the final release until that is taken care of.

On a related note, if someone out there should be eager to take on the role of release manager for PROJ I am happy to hand over that responsibility. It is definitely possible to run a tighter ship, unfortunately I just haven't got the available time for that.

Best,
Kristian