[PROJ] Creating projection *not* from full init string?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:02:52 PST 2021

On 09/03/2021 16.55, Kristian Evers wrote:
> We are generally very happy to help users of PROJ solve their problems but
> not at the cost of being talked down to.

I was not (at least until Even decided to take objection) attempting to
"talk down" to anyone. I was attempting to express my honest feelings in
a neutral manner. I'm sorry if that was not understood.

You say "we are generally very happy to help users". The replies I was
receiving, *as I understood them*, did not seem consistent with that.
When I said "what I'm hearing is...", what I was trying to express was
surprise and confusion because my interpretation of Even's remarks
didn't seem consistent with what I assumed were good intentions.

I expected good faith. I started out assuming good faith, up to the
point where trying to say "hey, I don't think we're connecting here", I
was told (politely, I'll grant) to get lost.

> Try to find a bit of humbleness

Try to consider the possibility that, rather than ranting or being
deliberately offensive, the poor user is trying to work past what
appears to be a breakdown in communication?

> accept that maybe things are complicated for a reason other than making your
> life difficult.

Be fair: the PROJ 5 API *does* go out of its way to make my life
difficult. I'll grant that it has a reason for doing so, and even that
it is perhaps TRTTD, but please note that it took three e-mails (and
quite some frustration on both sides) before that reason was elucidated.
(And I still don't have an answer to my question from the second e-mail.)

Humbleness is fine and all, but it's not reasonable to expect someone to
not be frustrated by something that *is* deliberately obtuse when he
doesn't understand *why* it's that way. Especially when one is already
frustrated because his program isn't working, and — let's be honest 😉 —
because he's trying to deal with geodesy, which is a headache on a
*good* day.

--
Matthew