[PROJ] Krovak S-JTSK centimeter accuracy

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 16 11:07:14 PDT 2022

> First question:
> Does Proj support this local coordinate grid shift?

What do you mean by local: a grid that deal with projected coordinates ?
Is it really the case here ? (sorry didn't have time to read thoroughly
your links). We've had instances where the data producer originally
provided grids referenced to projected coordinates, like the OSGB15
geoid model, and the contributor to PROJ-data reprojected them to
geographic coordinates to make them more usable by PROJ. Of course this
only worked for a geoid model. If the content of the grid itself is
shifts in eastings, northings, then a more complex transformation has to
be done. Otherwise PROJ would need a few changes to deal with grids that
would operate on projected coordinates.

> Second question:
> The Czech Technical University in Prague has a page about using Proj
> to transform to/from S-JTSK here
> <http://freegis.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/S-JTSK_/_Grid> (English
> <https://freegis-fsv-cvut-cz.translate.goog/gwiki/S-JTSK_/_Grid?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp>).
> It suggests using grid shift files from some CZ researchers with the
> old `nadgrids` and `geoidgrids` paradigm.
OK, so "standard grids" here. Are they the same you referred too
previously ?
> would Proj accept a PR for adding these grid shift files to get the
> better accuracy?

I would strongly suggest that you, or more appropriately the Czech
geodesic authority register those grids with IOGP in the EPSG dataset.
That's the main source of geodesic data for PROJ. Otherwise we need to
add custom entries, and this adds a maintenance burden to the project.
If you'd want those grid(s) to be included in
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-data/, you'll have also to make sure that
they are licensed under an open data license such as the ones listed in
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-data/#about-the-data-package. It can take
some time of discussion with the data producer so 1) they are aware
about the existence of licenses 2) they are willing to distribute under
an open data license.

Even