[PROJ] Ellipsoidal distances, with different heights

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Aug 27 16:36:10 PDT 2024

Nyall,

I'm not sure there's a real definition to what you want to accomplish.

I guess I would :

- use the geod_position() of geodesic.h to compute a sufficient number
of intermediate positions

- linearly interpolate the ellipsoidal height

- convert the resulting (lon, lat, h) to geocentric (X, Y, Z) using
+proj=cart

- use 3D Cartesian distance to compute each intermediate segment

- sum them up

A cheaper alternative might be to compute the geodesic distance between
the start and end points both on the ellipsoid (a + h_start, b +
h_start) and on the one (a + h_end, b + h_end), and compute some sort of
mean (arithmetic, geometry, ... ?) on those 2 distances.

Even