[PROJ] Ellipsoidal distances, with different heights

Mircea Neacsu mircea at neacsu.net
Wed Aug 28 11:52:49 PDT 2024

You can also see the lecture notes on geodetic positions computations at https://gge.ext.unb.ca/Pubs/LN39.pdf

--

Mircea Neacsu

---- On Tue, 27 Aug 2024 19:06:00 -0400 Nyall Dawson via PROJ <proj at lists.osgeo.org> wrote ---

Hi list,

Let's say I have two points on an ellipsoid, with each point having a
different height above the ellipsoid. I want to calculate a kind of
"geodesic" between these points, where there's an assumption that the
gradient of the height-above-ellipsoid for the "geodesic" is constant.

Is this mathematically solvable? Or, more to the point, is it possible
to calculate this using any of the methods exposed via geodesic.h?

Nyall