[PROJ] robots.txt

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Sep 20 05:43:20 PDT 2024

Le 20/09/2024 à 13:57, Javier Jimenez Shaw a écrit :

> On Thu, 19 Sept 2024 at 22:06, Even Rouault
> <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
>
>     Javier,
>>
>>     Should we do the same in PROJ as in GDAL?
>
>     Seems a good idea. What should we index for PROJ: /en/latest/ or
>     /en/stable/ ?
>
> What is the difference between latest and stable?
> For a moment I thought that latest was from "master", and stable the
> "last release". But there are changes from
> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/4251 that are not in latest.

yes, "RTD latest" = "git master" and "RTD stable" = "last git tag"

Comparing the commit history of
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/commits/9.5/ (the branch) and
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/commits/9.5.0 (the tag) I now understand
why RTD stable == tag 9.5.0 currently doesn't display the 9.5.0 release.
The reason is that it lacks the commit
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/commit/1960849ba7b65f05c13e10cac233e021a3e045dd
"Update docs for 9.5.0 release".

So this is mostly a matter of adjusting the release procedure to make
sure the tag incorporates the download link for it (at that point the
release tarball is not yet generated, but its name and location are
entirely predictable) and the updated news.

We could for example tag commit 1960849ba7b65f05c13e10cac233e021a3e045dd
as "9.5.0-updated-doc" and that would do, but there might be side
effects in doing that (like all distributions automatically tracking
tags that would trigger new build).

I'm wondering if a simpler and more desirable behavior would be to
manage to convince RTD to alias "stable" to the "9.5" branch currently,
so stable receives backported doc fixes, etc. That would be surprising
that the RTD configuration doesn't allow to do that.