[PROJ] downloadable documentation ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Sep 21 16:36:30 PDT 2024

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> Currently /stable points to the latest tag (9.5.0):
> https://proj.org/_/downloads/en/stable/pdf/

> That will change to 9.5.1 docs once 9.5.1 is released

I realize that is helpful for humans, but in general packaging systems
want a URL that will always return the same bits, so others can build
the package and get the same result, and the checksum for the distfile
will match.  Ideally they whould of be like release tarballs, but with
docs instead of sources.  (A redirect URL to the latest is fine of
course.)

Thanks for the pointer to the sources, todo queued to deal with this.

So 'release tarball' does not contain the docs, but they are available
via the github tag mechanism.  I didn't figure that out from the readme.

In the days of autoconf, it was somewhat normal to have files in the
repo but not in release tarballs, and I have the impression that in the
cmake and especially github world, it is not, so I didn't think of it.

(I appreciate everone's patient with and replies to my questions; for
various reasons a bunch of geo packages were behind and I've been trying
to get caught up.)