[pycsw-devel] new website development

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:48:58 PDT 2013

Hi all,

The Sphinx documentation in [1] powers the pycsw.org website and associated documentation.

Sphinx docs were initially setup to manage both to make things easy, however given project maturation, our OSGeo incubation process, I think it's a good time to decouple the website content from pure software documentation and manage them separately.  Rationale/benefits:

- web content is growing (OSGeo incubation will soon lead us to PSC/RFC's and so on, community, FAQ)
- website is due for a nice redesign (the docs don't need as much flare)
- website announcements are natural for a blog setup
- the website's lifecycle shouldn't/won't have to move along with software release

I've opened a ticket for this [2].

Comments? Ideas? Objections?

It would be great to have some help especially in the website/template design, so if anyone has a flare for web design/UI, any contributions are more than welcome.

I'm initially thinking for the design to be implemented using Bootstrap [3], and setup using Pelican [4] (n.b. we don't have to redo the web content which is already in rST).

..Tom

[1] https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/tree/master/docs
[2] https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/issues/180
[3] http://getbootstrap.com