[pycsw-devel] new website development

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 02:38:47 PDT 2013

Hi Tom,

This is a very good idea for all the reasons you mentioned.
+1

BTW, I am preparing an HTML5 presentation for FOSS4G 2013 and I am
wondering where this would live and be maintained.

If the web-site code lives in a new git repository, then I guess it would
be natural to add resources there, right?

Best,
Angelos

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The Sphinx documentation in [1] powers the pycsw.org website and
> associated documentation.
>
> Sphinx docs were initially setup to manage both to make things easy,
> however given project maturation, our OSGeo incubation process, I think
> it's a good time to decouple the website content from pure software
> documentation and manage them separately.  Rationale/benefits:
>
> - web content is growing (OSGeo incubation will soon lead us to PSC/RFC's
> and so on, community, FAQ)
> - website is due for a nice redesign (the docs don't need as much flare)
> - website announcements are natural for a blog setup
> - the website's lifecycle shouldn't/won't have to move along with software
> release
>
> I've opened a ticket for this [2].
>
> Comments? Ideas? Objections?
>
> It would be great to have some help especially in the website/template
> design, so if anyone has a flare for web design/UI, any contributions are
> more than welcome.
>
> I'm initially thinking for the design to be implemented using Bootstrap
> [3], and setup using Pelican [4] (n.b. we don't have to redo the web
> content which is already in rST).
>
> ..Tom
>
> [1] https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/tree/master/docs
> [2] https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/issues/180