[pycsw-devel] OSGeo Incubation status

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 06:02:26 PST 2015

Hi Angelos:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:37:10 +0200
> From: Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com>
> To: Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com>
> Cc: Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>,
>     "pycsw-devel at lists.osgeo.org" <pycsw-devel at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [pycsw-devel] OSGeo Incubation status
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:31 AM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the info.  The email approach is a great idea and lower
>> barrier IMHO.  Questions:
>>
>> - what constitutes a contributor?
>

> Good question. In OSGeoLive case, where SVN is used, this is
> straightforward: a contributor is the person with commit access to the
> central repository.
>

>> Official committers
>> (https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/blob/master/COMMITTERS.txt)?
>> Anyone who has ever contributed, including via GitHub pull requests?
>>

> In git case, the safe road IMHO is to accept a contribution (even through
> pull requests) after a similar e-mail is sent.
>

>> (https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/graphs/contributors)?  If anyone,
>> would we need them to additionally add their name/year in the source
>> code headers they have touched?
>

> No, adding name to source is not required unless if the contribution is
> significant and the contributor wants to claim copyright to that code.
>

>> Only core committers have done this
>> thus far
>>
>> - we have a section on contributing in
>>
>> https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst#contributions-and-licensing
>> .  We should update this section once we iron out how things will work
>> (process and email template).
>>

> I agree, we should iron out a template and then call for a PSC vote to
> enable this process.

I've updated the process and template in this pull request:

https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/pull/311

Specifically https://github.com/tomkralidis/pycsw/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst#contributions-and-licensing

Let's leave the PR open until we review the text, make mods and get PSC consensus (which needs a call for vote).

After this, we require legwork to track down contributors and get agreement (which should be a new GitHub issue).