[pycsw-devel] OpenSearch Query Format

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:09:19 PST 2016

Hi Pedro,

This is a very valid question.
When we were implementing OGC OpenSearch Geo/Time extension in pycsw,
the CSW 3 implementation was about to start.
We noticed that the OpenSearch Temporal was defined a bit differently in
CSW3 document than the OpenSearch Geo/Time document.
So we decided to ask both CSW3 and OpenSearch authors for their opinion.
The question back then was something like this:

"Looking at the CSW3 document (12-176r4) under Table 6 the preferred
parameter for OpenSearch Temporal is &time={start}/{end}&
Looking at the OpenSearch document (10-032r8) in Table 3 I see that
"start" and "end" are mentioned separately. I understand that those are
tokens in the OpenSearch description document and not actually KVP
parameters. "

The response we got was that they are both valid as long as you define
them correctly in the template document.
The opensearch parameters are placeholders that you can replace.
On page 13 of OGC 10-032r8 you 'll also find the following remark:
"Clients should take special consideration to the fact that according to
the OpenSearch specification the OpenSearch parameters usage is not
restricted to the URL query string and can be used as templates values
in any of URL components (e.g. path, host).
EXAMPLE 6 An example URL template with OpenSearch parameters on the URL
path
http://example.com/rss/{startPage}/?q={searchTerms}
"

We decided to follow the CSW3 way.

Best regards,
Angelos

On 02/19/2016 04:58 PM, Pedro G Silva wrote:
> Hi
> Using opensearch on pycsw I noticed 2 things:
> -lack of start page and copunt (already fixed on
> https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/issues/402)
> -the time:start and end format dont feel like the standard used/written in
> the draft.
>
> Current descriptor URL:
> http://100.100.0.200/csw?mode=opensearch&service=CSW&version=2.0.2&request=GetRecords&elementsetname=full&typenames=csw:Record&resulttype=results&q={searchTerms?}&bbox={geo:box?}&time={time:start?}/{time:end
> ?}
>
> On this document
> http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/Extensions/Time/1.0/Draft_1
> time
> start and end is referred as &dtstart={time:start?}&dtend={time:end?}
> Notice the lack of / to separatae start and time and the use of &, just
> like another argument.
>
> This email is to promote discussion about which format to use or why the
> current one should be used, {time:start?}/{time:end?} or
> &dtstart={time:start?}&dtend={time:end?}

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos