[pycsw-devel] Use extra_columns in pycsw-admin setup_db

Thomas Mistelbauer Thomas.Mistelbauer at eodc.eu
Fri Jun 9 00:29:30 PDT 2017

Dear pycsw developers,

I am currently setting up a pycsw server for the Earth Observation Data Centre (https://pycsw.eodc.eu/), where we mainly host Copernicus Sentinel data.

So far, I managed to set up the server using the default metadata profiles, however, in the next step, we need to add additional metadata elements (e.g. cloud-coverage), that are not covered by both the standard profiles and the database table columns.

I understand that I have to create a custom profile, however I don't really know what is the best way to extend the database table. I see that it is possible pass 'extra_columns' in setup_db, however, this argument is not used in the admin.setup_db in pycsw-admin.py. If I run setup_py in admin.py "manually", I lose the comfort of the config file. I know that this is no big deal, however, I would find it very convenient if it would be possible to set 'extra_columns' int the repository section of the config file, so that these columns are automatically created when pycsw-admin -c setup_db is executed.

Is there any reason why this is not the case already, or am I missing something completely, and there is a better way to implement additional columns? If not, then I would be happy to work on that :-)

Thank you for your help and time! :-)

Best regards,
Thomas?