[pycsw-devel] ElasticSearch integration

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:12:35 PDT 2018

Dear Mike

thanks for your interest in Hypermap. You may find a few documentation
here: http://cga-harvard.github.io/Hypermap-Registry/

I am not sure which is your user case. At this time (Tom and Angelos
correct me if anything changed in this respect) pycsw does not support a
search engine (Solr/ES) back end directly - though we have discussed a
possible implementation of it a few times.
Hypermap approach is to enable an OGC CSW (based on pycsw) on top of a
collection of map web services which can be harvested, health checked
and monitored by the Hypermap web application. Hypermap stores all of
this information in a relational database, and pycsw will use it as a
back end. At the same time Hypermap can sync this information to a
search engine, which can be used via an API for doing more powerful
searches.
Again, if you explain better your use case, I can provide maybe more
information.

By the way, these two journal papers can also contain useful
information for you:

* https://peerj.com/articles/cs-152/?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_campaign=PeerJ_TrendMD_0&utm_medium=TrendMD
* https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40965-018-0051-x

kind regards
Paolo
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM Mike Metcalfe <mike at webtide.co.za> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On IRC recently @tomkralidis suggested I consider using the pycsw/HHyperman integration as the model on which to base the development of an elastic plugin.  Knowing hardly anything about pycsw, after reading this PR I had assumed I'd be writing a backend that would query ES and instead of a  SQL database. But the docs say "pycsw is enabled and configured by default in HHypermap".  Now after reading #208,  #410 and #95 I'm totally confused where to start.
>
> Please advise.
>
> --
> Mike Metcalfe
>
> 082 903 8268