[pycsw-devel] OGC API - Records implementation update

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 11:34:29 PDT 2021

Hi all: hope everything is well with you during these times.

We'd like to provide an update on pycsw status and the emerging
OGC API - Records specification.  For those who may not be aware,
OARec is part of the OGC API effort [1] to modernize API standards
in order to help lower the barrier to implementation.  OARec is the natural
successor to OGC CSW (similar to OGC API - Feature being the
same for OGC WFS) and fits into the pycsw scope and roadmap.

OARec has seen considerable progress in the last 6 months in
support of moving ahead for public comment as well as the
eventual formal specification (note that Angelos and myself are
part of the OARec Standards Working Group).

Given the current state of OARec (endpoints, core record model)
we have decided that the time is right to move ahead and implement
in pycsw proper.

We have started implementing the feature branch in [2] and have a
working product based on the existing pycsw architecture (configuration,
repository, etc.).  Note that the goal here would be for pycsw to support
all its current interfaces so a user can support both OARec and the
current interfaces (CSW, OpenSearch, etc.) as part of their deployment.

As with CSW2/3, we will also target pycsw as an OARec Reference
Implementation.

For those who are interested, we are tracking this feature in [3].  Note
that we will also put forth an RFC for PSC review/vote.

This feature is a long time coming, and now is the right time to start
to implement and harden in pycsw.  OARec will be a core part of
the OGC geospatial search capability, and is critical path for the pycsw
roadmap and functionality for the long term.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out
here, IRC or Gitter.

Thanks

..Tom

[1] https://ogcapi.ogc.org