[Pywps-dev] pywps and gsoc 2014

Jonas Eberle jonas.eberle at gmx.de
Thu Feb 13 01:56:10 PST 2014

Hi all,

although I am not an active core developer of PyWPS (yet), I am using PyWPS for a few years now for different projects providing web processing services with focus an process chaining and operational systems.

I'd like to contribute two ideas for GSOC 2014 based on my perspective using and developing processes for PyWPS. But you should decide if the ideas suit to the current status of PyWPS-4. Maybe it is too early for these ideas or other ideas have a higher priority for PyWPS-4. That is up to you.

===============================

Providing process chaining capabilities

===============================

Chaining geo processing services based on OGC WPS Standard can be achieved in different ways based on the complexity of the application. Indeed there are existing possibilities mainly for SOAP-based web services in general (Taverna, BPEL), but in most cases a lot of effort needs to be invested to implement such services and process chains.

A good enhancement of PyWPS would be the integration of chaining geo processing services either published as a further process or defined by an input parameter (e.g., XML-based definition for process chaining). Following features could / should be included (further ideas are welcome):

- Status updating of parent process (=process of process chain),

- Provide access to results of subprocess, even if chain is still running,

- If/else conditions and for loops based on output values of subprocess,

- Logical data transfer if subprocesses are on the same machine (no unnecessary copy of data)

=======================================

Web-based administration & process management

=======================================

Providing operational running processing services requires often a tool to list executed processes with their current status to have an overview about usage and possible errors. Users and administrators could easily view a process log file, if generated from the process, and further information about the executed processes. Furthermore process actions - like an easy way to restart or delete an executed process - could be very helpful for the process management. An administration part could extend PyWPS to make it more user-friendly in creating services and changing settings.

The administration part could include:

- Create services, change settings of services

- Add new processes (e.g., provide a template process for further manual adjustments)

- Change process settings

- User management (?)

The process management part could include:

- List executed processes with their status (e.g., running, failed, succeeded)

- View process details (e.g., inputs, outputs, log file)

- Provide process actions (e.g., restart, delete)

- further ideas are welcome

Greetings,
Jonas

University of Jena, Germany
Department for Earth Observation
http://www.eo.uni-jena.de/7020.0.html

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

hi all,

since we are approaching deadline pretty soon, I've tried to put together our
Google summer of code page

https://github.com/jachym/pywps-4/wiki/GSOC-2014-ideas

Please, add you ideas for PyWPS-4

Please, add your name the the "mentor name" line.

My proposal:

Pirmin - For the QGIS MapServer
Sören/Jorge/Jachym - All the database/cloud ouptut stuff
Luís - For UMN MapServer

Could you please indicated, wheter you are willing to mentor the topics? I can
understand, you do not have time/will/disinclined to do that, it's perfectly
fine. I'm just addressing directly, to move things faster forward.

Thanks

Jachym

P.S. I hope, PyWPS 4 is ready for such features (or will be till summer), even
it might not be finished yet.

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky at gmail com