[Pywps-dev] Development workflow proposal

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:34:30 PST 2016

Hi all: as we move ahead with OSGeo incubation and PyWPS 4, I'd like to
propose / confirm the following workflow option for development.

1./ https://github.com/geopython/pywps is the codebase

We have imported https://github.com/PyWPS/pywps-4 (source code) to
https://github.com/geopython/pywps/tree/pywps-4.  When branch pywps-4
is deemed ready we can merge/move as master branch.

2./ branches are based on minor versions (i.e. pywps-x.y)

We can copy pywps-3.2.3 branch to pywps-3.2 which will signify our 3.x
support and then release 3.x releases against pywps-3.2.

When 4.0.0 is released, we can branch pywps-4.0

3./ semantic versioning [1] and even/odd strategy [2] tags

This allows us to safely make dev releases which communicate
to users that a given release is unstable by design, i.e.:

4.0.0 - stable
- 4.0.1 - bugfix based on 4.0 branch
4.1.0 - unstable based off master
4.2.0 - stable

I'm more than willing to move items forward to help the dev team
as per above if folks are in agreement.

Confirmation of the above would (IMHO) significantly increase the clarity
of the PyWPS story for things like OSGeo incubation between PyWPS
versions, lower the barrier for new developers.  Given the significant efforts
behind PyWPS 4, it's probably a good time to bring this into geopython/pywps
to move the project forward.

Thoughts?

..Tom

[1] http://semver.org