[Qgis-community-team] community team tasks for 0.11.0 release

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Sun Jul 6 04:54:39 EDT 2008

Dear Community Team,

the next release will be on monday 14 July and I would like to add here
a short note about the community-team plans and todos according this release,
so it becomdes clear that everybody knows what to do.

a) Documentation (Tara)

- we focus on a new documentation for 1.0 release and won't (be able to) release
  a doc version for 0.11.0. Current status managed by Tara is available at
  http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ManualReleaseChecklist1.0

b) GUI translations (Werner)

- Werner manages the GUI translation updates in svn since a couple of weeks. As
Tim wrote on 29 June 2008: today (June 6 2008) he will branch for release 0.11.0
and any translation updates received will from now on be available only in the
upcoming 1.0 release. It seems the updates worked well and several translators
used the chance to update the gui language files.

c) Website (Blog/Forum) (Stephan)

- The new website is also planned for 1.0 release. Current status is available
  at http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/WebsiteManagement

@Stephan: I don't know if you have contacted Maning Sambale to coordinate, where
and what to update in the "old" website and blog for the next release 0.11.0.
Can you do this, please.

And we should add the results to the wiki. As for the documentation I added a
release checklist for 0.11.0 and 1.0 at CommunityTeamTasks. Can you please
use these two wiki pages and add the todos so we can tick off what is done and
see who is responsible? This will help us to automate a procdure from release to
release.

For 1.0 release the website todos are currently available at WebsiteManagement
wiki page, but we should try to put all release version related tasks into the
suitable checklist and use the  WebsiteManagement as a overview and general
introduction site for the website management. Stephan, can you also do this or
tell us if you need help.

d) User and Conferences (Lars)

There are no direct release related todos here I think, but Lars: we should
start thinking of ways how to make the User and Conferences wiki pages more
attractive and useful for the community and how to better integrate them into
the website/blog/forum. They are currently a little "inconspicuous". Would be
nice to have this more flashy and clearer for the 1.0 release. An idea would be
to provide some ideas on the user mailing list and ask them what they would like
to have and improve.

e) Press Center (Sascha)

For the next 0.11.0 release it would be a good idea to coordinate the release
announcement with Tim and the release team and take care of it's translations at
the Press_Releases wiki page. You could also ask more people to translate the
text into their languages and send them to relevant mailing lists in their
countries (e.g. Richard Duivenvoorde -> dutch?).

These are my ideas for the moment. Should we try to have an IRC meeting next
week to discuss and coordinate the tasks? Apart from this, just comment this
mail or ask, if there are questions so we can use this 0.11.0 release to
optimize the community-team processes.

And as always, please keep in mind to add and organize important information in
the wiki so we won't forget.

kind regards,