[Qgis-community-team] coordinating with release team for v1.0

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Jul 8 19:28:45 EDT 2008

Hi Tara

2008/7/8 Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com>:
> It's been very useful for me to follow the release-team mailing list through
> the v0.11 release.
> Below is a draft of a request to the release team. They now have v 0.11 out
> the door and are looking ahead to v1.0, so this seems like a good time to
> address these issues.

Small correction - official branch for release is still on hold
pausing the resolution of a few key issues. Once I do the branch
expect 7 more days for packagers to get their packages ready, at which
point we officially announce the release.

> Please add other items to the list if you can think of anything we will need
> from the release team to be successful in our manual rewrite.
>
> Dear QGIS Release Team:
> When the feature freeze takes effect, the manual team will start rewriting
> the manual. This rewrite is much more than a simple update and we will be
> hard-pressed to complete this promptly, so I would like to coordinate with
> the release team as much as possible.

Great! We would like to and be happy to coordinate with you on this.

> We will be writing the manual to be
> consistent with the GUI as of the feature freeze, and then modifying to
> accommodate changes in the GUI that are made later.
> For this to work smoothly, we will need the following:
> 1. Windows and Mac builds after the feature freeze (~Aug 25)

Right this is something we need to take up with packagers. I'll add /
emphasise in the 1.0 checklist when I create it that we need test
packages. If you are able to use Linux packages too it would be good
since these can be generated much more rapidly than win & mac
packages. Anne would you be up for taking on the responsibility of
coordinating with packages to get the test and final packages made and
the packages uploaded? If yes contact me and I'll make sure you get
appropriate server access etc?

> 2. a changelog for the period up to the feature freeze (July7 to ~Aug 25)

Yes agreed,  we will need to try to get the changelog out timeously
then - Richard (when you return from your 2week vacation) could you
take responsibility for this?

> 3. another changelog for the period after the feature freeze up to the GUI
> freeze (~Aug 25 to ~Sep 15)

Will this be needed?  Once we feature freeze any changes to the gui
until the gui freeze will be bug fixes only and the feature set should
remain the same. By change log here I assume you are referring to the
visual changelogs we have started doing and the abridged change logs
like you will find in help->about?

> 4. other??

We have started using txt2tags for the changelogs now too so you can
easily generate them as LaTeX which should save you some effort. We
will do the same for the final 1.0 release.

We should also consider whether the brochure needs refreshing with the
release of 1.0?

> Would someone on the release team be willing to take responsibility for each
> task,

Lets see if Anne and Richard are willing to take on the tasks, if now
Ill help you directly.

>and give us a time estimate of how soon after the respective freezes
> could we expect to have these?

Let us get 0.11.0 properly out the way and then I'll create the 1.0
checklist and we can put in timings into that (you are all welcome to
edit the checklists and add items and dependencies to it). If you do
edit the checklist with items that need to be handled on a recurring
basis, please also add them to the master checklist template so they
are automatically included for future releases.

Best regards

Tim