[Qgis-community-team] Plugin icons

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Wed Jul 30 20:28:28 EDT 2008

Thanks, Tim!

The next step for the SVN user_guide directory is to replace the old
plugin icons with the new ones.
This means your checked out directory will have eps files left over from
the previous names.
These will be unversioned files, so however the SVN updates are done,
they will not take care of this clean up for you.

The makefile intentionally does not delete these so that when you are
editing the user guide and recompiling frequently, you don't have to
wait for the eps files to be created every time.

I can think of a couple of ways to make these icon flushes less of a
burden for us all.
A. Construct a script that wipes all eps files out of the image
directories (core, plugins and screenies). It will only be necessary to
run this when there has been a change in image files (in the user
guide), and in general this should happen only once every release. The
makefile will then start from scratch to create new eps files, but again
this will only happen once per release.
B. Put all icons files into the user_guide image directory, rather than
separate folders for each plugin.  The only reason I did this in the
first place was because of the name collisions- that is solved, and it
will be easy to identify which icon goes with which plugin directly from
the name. This makes it easy to simply delete all eps files from the
directory manually.

We could implement one of these or both.

Then I believe if I
1. make the necessary changes in my local checkout, (deleting old pngs
and copying the new pngs into the right place)
2. commit (Tortoise SVN) at the folder level, with checkboxes on for all
the png files

then this will allow everyone else to update in order to delete the old
icons and download the new icons into their local copies.
Is this correct?

I am less sure about the Tortoise SVN procedure if I create and delete
folders (as in plan B)- does this work the same way?

Tara

--
My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470