[Qgis-community-team] Plugin icons

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu Jul 31 05:17:54 EDT 2008

Hi Tara,

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:28:28 -0700
Tara Athan <tara_athan at alt2is.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Tim!
>
> The next step for the SVN user_guide directory is to replace the old
> plugin icons with the new ones.
> This means your checked out directory will have eps files left over from
> the previous names.
> These will be unversioned files, so however the SVN updates are done,
> they will not take care of this clean up for you.
>
> The makefile intentionally does not delete these so that when you are
> editing the user guide and recompiling frequently, you don't have to
> wait for the eps files to be created every time.
>
> I can think of a couple of ways to make these icon flushes less of a
> burden for us all.
> A. Construct a script that wipes all eps files out of the image
> directories (core, plugins and screenies). It will only be necessary to
> run this when there has been a change in image files (in the user
> guide), and in general this should happen only once every release. The
> makefile will then start from scratch to create new eps files, but again
> this will only happen once per release.

you can use 'make clean'. It deletes all eps files from the image subfolders
and removes the finalpix folder as well.

> B. Put all icons files into the user_guide image directory, rather than
> separate folders for each plugin.  The only reason I did this in the
> first place was because of the name collisions- that is solved, and it
> will be easy to identify which icon goes with which plugin directly from
> the name. This makes it easy to simply delete all eps files from the
> directory manually.

I would keep it the way you just structured it, because within the qgis sources
the icons are also splitted in plugin dirs. Especially for all the GRASS Module
icons I would like to use the plugins_grass_module_images/ folder.

> We could implement one of these or both.
>
> Then I believe if I
> 1. make the necessary changes in my local checkout, (deleting old pngs
> and copying the new pngs into the right place)

I added and committed a new Makefile option (updateicon). It removes all .eps
and .png files from the image folders (not screenies) and copies the new icons
from a defined QGIS source directories.

So all you need to do is:

- define variable QGISPLUGINSOURCE in the Makefile. In my case it is:
QGISPLUGINSOURCE=/software/qgis_head/src/plugins
- run make updateicon

please check in the Makefile if all necessary icon folders are implemented in
the Makefile updateicon option. I tried to get all folders but I am not sure.

> 2. commit (Tortoise SVN) at the folder level, with checkboxes on for all
> the png files
>
> then this will allow everyone else to update in order to delete the old
> icons and download the new icons into their local copies.
> Is this correct?
>
> I am less sure about the Tortoise SVN procedure if I create and delete
> folders (as in plan B)- does this work the same way?

I am not an expert and don't know if Tortoise supports this. But I guess that
should work.

regards,
 Otto