[Qgis-community-team] Re: Translation of QGIS 1.0 release announcement

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sun Feb 1 15:38:56 EST 2009

On Sunday 01 February 2009 20:46:45 Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've found the Spanish translation
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/PR_1.0_es#preview
>
> to be too literal a translation from English and have made another
> version, hopefully with an improved style for the Spanish language. As
> I'm not a member of the
> translation team and the modifications are quite substantial
> (in terms of translation), I prefer no to edit the wiki page.
> I copy my version at the end of this message. Let me know in case I
> can actually edit the wiki page.
>
> Also, Tim: I posted the Spanish announcement to the Spanish GIS lists
> in the previous versions, should I do it again or is this done
> in an automatic way now?

It would be great if you can do it again - the process is not automatic.

> I remember having copied the address of
> the lists to the wiki pages of the release process.
>
> Finally, it's probably too late but I actually disagree with three minor
> questions of the original message that might be corrected for future
> releases:

You could modify your localised version if you have a better way to present
the announcement.

> 1. Where it says "Dear QGIS Users, Developers and FOSSGIS devotees"
> I propose: "Dear QGIS Users, Developers, FOSSGIS devotees and GIS
> practitioners in general"

Good

> 2. Where it says "Even though 1.0 is fresh, there are a number of
> exciting developments..."
> I propose: "QGIS 1.0 includes a large number of exciting new
> developments..."

I think the original sentiment was that even though 1.0 is only recently out,
we are already hard at work on developing the next version with nice new
features etc...

> 3. Where it says "Although it took nearly 7 years to get to version 1.0,
> I think you'll find..."
> I propose: "The QGIS development team invested nearly 7 years to get to
> version 1.0 through 11 intermediate versions and I think you'll find..."

I'd have to check but I have vague recollections of use doing 0.0.2 type
releases in the early days....but even so your suggested alteration is fine...

Best regards

Tim