[Qgis-community-team] Collaborative platform for the documentation

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Mon Nov 22 16:10:01 EST 2010

Hi,

I would like if any decisions has been taken during the hack-fest
regarding the translation's environment. There has been talks about it
on the french osgeo's mailing-list due to growing needs in this regard
(new doc for qgis, postgis's translation, etc.).

A few names have been evocated :
- launchpad
- pootle
- etherpad
- sphinx (https://bitbucket.org/lehmannro/sphinx-i18n/src)
- transifex
- po4a
- and other words like rst, docbook etc.

I'm not the biggest supporter of online editing tool but I've to admit
that these tools are a good way to get non-technical newcomers working
without stunning them with svn, texlive and all that jazz. A perfect
solution would allows simple edition in the broswer while not forbidding
offline work (Qt Linguist is really great).

The devs will switch to git, the translators have to get a new shiny
thing too !

Regards,
Jean Roc