[Qgis-community-team] publishing manual

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon Apr 18 06:12:40 EDT 2011

Hi Yves,

thanks a lot!

Am Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:15:13 +0200
schrieb Yves Jacolin <yjacolin at free.fr>:

> Hello Otto,
>
> Even I think you ask thess questions to Jean-Roc, I have some answer !
>
> Le lundi 18 avril 2011 07:13:03, Otto Dassau a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > thanks a lot Jean Roc for your work and for taking care of it.
> >
> > - Should we try to add the current 1.6 manual to Lulu as well, or does
> > that make no sense? And what other literature would make sense? The
> > gentle introduction?
> I think it should better to wait for the 1.7 other doc depends of the page
> number. Lulu.com proposes to print document that you can't print by
> yourself. 10 pages or so are not enought (too much work) but lulu.com
> won't refuse it except that some configuration need a minimal page number.

Ok, maybe this pushes us a little more to get 1.7 done and printed. What is
your main reason to wait for 1.7?

For other books I think the Gentle GIS Introduction could be a candidate,
too.

> > - How much does a printed version finally cost? I assume it depends on
> > the number of pages. And how much do we want to earn for the project
> > with it? Some days before I discussed with Pirmin and we were thinking
> > about something like 20 Euro for the project per book. We had a look at
> > BoD.de and there a printed version with ISBN would be about 16 Euro +
> > project margin = 38 - 45 Euro. Does that make sense?
> nope :(
>
> A book cost ~ 30€, we (OSGeo-fr) "just" get ~ 5 € per book. You have some
> choice : b&w or color, quality of the first page, size, etc. which can
> modify the final price.

I am not sure if we should put the price for the manual a little higher.
People who don't have the money can always download for free or buy the bw
version and for all others I assume that they don't have a problem to pay a
little more especially when we make clear in the book that they support the
project with it. Or is this 5 Euro amount fix and we cannot decide?

> > - I tried to find the qgis manual you already printed - right?, but
> > couldn't find it. Can you send me a link?
> here is it
> http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?fListingClass=0&fSearch=osgeo
>
> There are not direct link to OSGeo-fr shop :(

nice, and even nicer to be able to privide a b/w and a color version. And for
both versions bw=15 Euro and color=42 Euro you "only" get 5 Euro?

> > - On other PoD platforms I found that figures need to have a resolution
> > of about 300dpi at least. What is your experience? Do we have to update /
> >   improve the figures?
>
> For the french version, picture are all ok :) I don't know if Jean-Roc
> changed anything, though.

ok, we see what Jean Roc says.

> > - How much costs a ISBN? I assume with ISBN we would be available via all
> >   online bookshops and without only via Lulu and the link on our website?
> > - Are there any other specific or monthly costs we have with Lulu?
>
> no fees. They paid themself for each book they print.

ok

> > - On the BoD platform we would have to sign a contract for each new title
> >   for 5 years. Is there something similar for lulu?
> I don't remember something like this on lulu.com
>
> This is a real value to propose printed book to our user, even if they are
> not so much money for us.

yes, I also see the value and I think we will do PoD anyway, because it
would be very nice. But maybe qgis user also see it and are willing to pay
for it.