[Qgis-community-team] publishing manual

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Mon Apr 18 06:42:02 EDT 2011

Le 18/04/2011 06:13, Otto Dassau a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> thanks a lot Jean Roc for your work and for taking care of it.
>
> - Should we try to add the current 1.6 manual to Lulu as well, or
> does that make no sense? And what other literature would make sense?
>  The gentle introduction?

Putting the 1?6 version doesn't cost us anything and may fill a need for
some user so let's do it. The english version could be extended with the
gentle introduction but the price would goes up.

> - On other PoD platforms I found that figures need to have a
> resolution of about 300dpi at least. What is your experience? Do we
> have to update / improve the figures?

I've redone many of the screen capture in the fr manual to minimize the
toolbar's clutter, the cleaner they are the better they will look. About
the resolution, you can't make a capture above 96dpi so the screenshot
has to be taken at an higher size extend and then reduce by at least 50%
to fit in the page, this easy step gives us a 150dpi version for print
which is already nice.

I add another step when producing the PDF X1a where I up/downscale every
image to 300dpi, so far the feedback from people is good.

> - How much costs a ISBN? I assume with ISBN we would be available via
> all online bookshops and without only via Lulu and the link on our
> website?

ISBN cost nothing to create but being available outside lulu (on amazon
or B&N) increase the cost of the book

> - Are there any other specific or monthly costs we have with Lulu?

no cost

> - On the BoD platform we would have to sign a contract for each new
> title for 5 years. Is there something similar for lulu?

no contract