[Qgis-community-team] latex and svn conventions for manual

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Wed Apr 20 12:25:26 EDT 2011

Hi David and Ramon,

thanks for your questions and ideas. I am curious what others think about it.

Am Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:52:47 -0400
schrieb David Quinn <djq at MIT.EDU>:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm started to work on the manual and I had a few questions.
>
> 1 - Is there a minimum amount of changes that should be done before a
> 'commit'?

no, there is no minimum amount. Usually it makes sense to commit your
changes after an "update session". At the moment there are not so many
contributors, so once at the end of your day work should be fine.

> 2 - Is there a reason for the hard wrapping of the latex code?

No there isn't, AFAIK. We could change that, if people prefer.

> 3 - Would it be possible to have a less flat hierarchy of files? For
> example all the  .tex files are currently in the one folder
> 'user_guide.tex' Would it make sense to structure it so that each folder
> has a section?

We never discussed this :). The latex structure was growing over the last
years. In the beginning it was quite simple and flat - only 40 pages. Maybe
we should think about making it easier again to get along with the code. Do
you have an idea?

The idea with each folder has a section could be interesting for the plugin
section. We would only have 1 folder on top level and all plugin .tex files
in the plugin folder. Do you mean sth. like that?

> Apologies if these are all things that have been discussed previously
> (if so, where can I read about it?). I'm also new to svn, so just
> figuring how best to use it.

Am Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:15:53 +0800
schrieb Ramon Andinach <custard at westnet.com.au>:

> Good questions. I'd been wondering a couple of those myself this evening.
> Can I add one?
>
> 4 - In the style file, is it possible to adjust the spacing between lines
> so that the line space is consistent through the document? At the moment
> it gets bigger for for lines where there are inline images
> (e.g.\button{wombat} ) and smaller for lines where there isn't.

You can define spacing between lines here:

%%% spacing and paragraph style
\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.1}

but together with the images I see a problem. I think using a bigger
spacing (to fit images size) between lines might look strange and enlarge
the manual too much. To decrease the images would make it difficult to
recognize them. We could try to change the \baselinestretch to 1.2, 1.3 or
1.4 and see what it looks like.