[Qgis-community-team] latex and svn conventions for manual

Tyler Mitchell info at locatepress.com
Wed Apr 20 20:59:06 EDT 2011

I'm late to the discussion, so take it with a grain of salt, but...

>>> 1 - Is there a minimum amount of changes that should be done before a 'commit'?

I stick with the rule that I commit every time I realise that I would not want to lose all my changes so far :)

>>> 2 - Is there a reason for the hard wrapping of the latex code?

In my opinion, this is helpful for tracking changes over time, since most revision control tools track at a line level.  Meaning, if I have a line with a 1000 characters in it, but only change a few words, it will be harder for other reviewers to understand.  That's from my experience anyway.  Though I hate breaking lines unnecessarily :)

>>> 3 - Would it be possible to have a less flat hierarchy of files? For example all the  .tex files are currently in the one folder 'user_guide.tex'
>>> Would it make sense to structure it so that each folder has a section?

It's not a bad idea for more hierarchy, but it does complicate things a bit since then you have to track all those folders and refer to them directly in your master documents.  If it's flat, then you never have to worry about relative paths for images, tex files, etc.

My two bits worth, and being late to the party :)

-----
Tyler Mitchell, Publisher
Locate Press, info at locatepress.com
Open Source "geo" Books