[Qgis-community-team] Publishing for open source geo books

Tyler Mitchell info at locatepress.com
Wed Apr 27 02:14:24 EDT 2011

Hi all,
I've talked to a few folks offline about what I've been up to in my spare time lately, but thought I might mention it here in case it helps.

You can read a bit about it here if you'd like the details :)
http://spatialguru.com/tyler-mitchell/new-venture-book-publishing
http://locatepress.com/journal/

In a nutshell, I'm working on publishing several books in a print-on-demand environment (not Lulu, but as a publisher I have a contract with the printers they and even O'Reilly use).  The goal is to make a broad set of OSGeo related books available through Amazon, on the kindle and on other ereaders too.  To accomplish this I'm looking around at the various sets of documents that each project has and starting with QGIS was a natural choice.  It's great to see you already have this solved through Lulu and others volunteering to help head it up - it's impressive to see!  But if there is any interest in working together to see how to take it a step further, or if you'd like to write a book on a related topic, etc.  Just let me know, I love discussing this stuff :)

It's going to be a fun new project and I'm starting with the Gentle Introduction to GIS as well as reprinting Gary Sherman's Desktop GIS book which went out of print recently.  I have lots more lined up but wanted to let you know since you were talking about publishing in a similar fashion.

Best wishes and hoping you are well!
Tyler

-----
Tyler Mitchell, Publisher