[Qgis-community-team] FR translation

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 11:16:21 PST 2012

I'm so glad I can help you people!!! :-)
Here is my how to...

- get an account on github.com
- install git on your computer (I use Ubuntu and with Linux systems you
just need to write: /sudo apt-get install git/). For other OS users,
have a look at the github homepage (look for application section)
- on github.com search the repository of Qgis-Documentation and fork it
(https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo), it just means that you
create a copy of the original repository on your github account
- clone the repository you forked (this step moves the repository from
your account to your computer)
- now that you have all the files on your computer just translate them!
(suggested softwares are qt linguist, lokalize, but you can use the
software you want)
- files translated need to be "synchronized"  with the old ones in the
directory of the forked repo
- if you are linux users, open the terminal and get in the directory of
the forked repo, and just write /git add */ , this simple command
updates the files of the forked repository
- now you have to commit the files writing /git commit/ in the bash
- at this point the translated files are on your computer only. You need
then to upload them on your github account. Open the terminal and write
/git origin master /. Now if you look at your github page the files are
updated with the translations.
- finally you have to do a pull request on github. It means that you
send a request to the owners of the repository you forked (so
Qgis-Documentation) asking them to accept your translations and move
them to the "original repository". For doing that go on github.com,
browse on the directory of your repository and click /pull request/
(https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests).

That's all guys.

Just one more thing. In the last days I wrote on this list trying to
find a solution about translation memories: it would be very useful to
create one common translation memory database either for speeding up the
work and for the future translations. I don't know the solution (I'm am
environmental scientist not a professional translator :-) and I'm
working on translation for less than a month) so if any of you has an
idea it would be great!!

Cheers

Matteo