[Qgis-community-team] FR translation

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sun Dec 9 12:33:25 PST 2012

On 12/09/2012 08:16 PM, matteo wrote:

> Just one more thing. In the last days I wrote on this list trying to
> find a solution about translation memories: it would be very useful to
> create one common translation memory database either for speeding up the
> work and for the future translations. I don't know the solution (I'm am
> environmental scientist not a professional translator :-) and I'm
> working on translation for less than a month) so if any of you has an
> idea it would be great!!

I'm no qt/linguist expert, but did some googling, and found

http://doc.qt.digia.com/qt/linguist-translators.html#phrase-books

http://avidemux.org/smuf/index.php?topic=7437.0

which in short say: linguist can have these so called phrase books. You
can create one by opening a .ts file (from the desktop translation) or a
.po file (docs translation) and save that one as a phrasebook.
Note: it is not a word-dictionary: it contains phrases

If you have one, you can add other strings to it.
By using this phrasebooks you would have one translation dictionary and
a more consistent translation.
(not sure what happens with old string though...)

A language translator team can off course use the ts-file of the desktop
app to have a starting phrasebook (and maybe put it in github also?).

I'm not very familiar with the old documentation process, but I would
think that it's not easy to create a phrase-book from latex files?

So maybe somebody wants to try this, and report back if it is helpfull?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde