[Qgis-community-team] qgis document, Tutorials, and interface translation to arabic

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:37:50 PST 2012

Hi!
Sorry, I thought I already wrote to you. Probably I forgot to send the
message or the mail got stuck somewhere else.

> > > Dear Werner,
> > >
> > > Hi, I am now working in the translation of interface, but I want
> to contact
> > > Latif and his friend to organize with them, also I want to know
> how I can
> > > share in translation of the document and tutorials.

As Robert already wrote (and I though I already did the same in my last
message) the arabic language do not seem to be actively maintained any
more for a longer time. So it's not a real problem. Just install
qt-linguist (you already told me that you have downloaded and installed
it) download the language file [0] and start translating.
As it seems you will be the only new contributor to arabic language just
send the file to me whenever you feel you have translated enough. I will
check and commit the file for you (and add all newly appeared strings to
it). Then you just have to redownload the file again from [0] and the
game starts again ;)

If you want I can check if the former translators are subscribed to the
translation mailing list and make a call for them on the translation
mailing list [1]. A list which I highly recommend you to subscribe to
this list too. It is very low traffic and at the list you could ask
yourself for other arabic translators (if noone answers you will know
that you are the new and famous only one).
As I am only responsible for GUI translation sharing the translation is
easy - as already described - just send the .ts file to my mail adress
and I will do the rest for you.
If you also want to join the documentation team and translate
documentation into arabic language I also recommend to ask at the
translators mailing list because the coordinator of documentation
translation is also subscribed there.
So you see we are highly organised through mailing lists and there is no
need to send the messages to every single person (except sending the
translated .ts file to me ;) )

I hope that answers a lot of your questions. If there will appear new
question just ask (on the translators mailing list :) )
Again a warm welcome on board and thanks for investing your time to
bring QGIS into the arabic world.

kind regards
Werner

[0] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/raw/master/i18n/qgis_ar.ts