[Qgis-community-team] documentation languages

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:59:48 PST 2012

Hi
> - Only if a language has a maintainer (agreed by Werner), it's flag
> will show up (you need to make the languages/locale array's smaller in
> both the theme/layout.html and the post/pre-translate scripts).
>
> - now it is alphabetic, we could also order it based on the total
> number of translations or so

Thanks Richard for this .. sounds great ..
And it also brings me to a topic I wanted to raise before the next
release anyway ..
We currently have 50 Languages (which is a great success) but ... it
just sounds good.
12 of them are below 10% and probably not maintained any more.
For some of this languages I have the promise of the maintainers to send
in the translations as soon as they will have some time to do translations.
Others seem to be only "placeholders" ..

So my Question (or plan) is: delete all non maintained languages under
10% (probably raise this level up to 20% or maybe more?) before the next
release.
I know that a small amount of translation is better than nothing but
with 2% AND unmaintained I see no reason to keep it.

For now it's just a suggestion and maybe it's better to already have
prepared the language files for possible new translators, but to me
having such a large amount of translations below 10% (we speak about 20%
of our translations) does not look "professional". I would expect at
least 50% translated if I see my flag (language) under the supported
languages section.

Waiting for your comments on this!

kind regards
Werner