[Qgis-community-team] documentation languages

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Thu Dec 13 02:00:54 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 10:29 AM, Otto Dassau wrote:

> people start complaining again, because the server is so busy and slow
> again. I guess (apart from other services) it also has to do with all the
> languages that we currently build documentation files for?

Hi Otto,

I'm pretty sure it is not us that is slowing down the server:
have a look at: http://documentation.qgis.org/html/
th last successful build is of 10 dec (which indeed took 1 hour and is
cpu intensive (holding 1 core fully busy)

there is a cclplus/gcc (building qgis?) job running at the moment taking
a lot of cpu power

> If so, I would prefere to keep the number of languages smaller and maybe as
> suggested only list those who are maintained (currently 10?) and encourage
> all others with some text at a prominent place.

I builded ALL po file last week (and checked them in in Github) so
everybody is able to start translating. I really want it to be easy to
start.

I agree that those 50 flags is overkill; but hey that is the future
isn't it (if all translating forces of the world unite) ;-)

My plan:
- only languages who are known to start translating will show up with a
flag in the qgis site (I have to find out which ones, or provide me a
list): (I will change that in the layout template of sphinx)

- languages who want to start translating can now start (via github),
and check in in Github. As soon as a language is serious about
translating a part of the docs, we build there language in the pre/post
scrips (I'll change that array in the post_translate and pre_translate
scripts)

Regards,

Richard