[Qgis-community-team] QGIS restructured text documentation: some notes on current situation

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:21:10 PDT 2012

Hi Richard,
I add in cc QGIS-community, as your question may be common

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net> wrote:

> Is it that you want the community to either choose for a rst approach OR a
> gettext approach?
>
> OR is it one approach you are talking about, and there are two ways of
> editing (rst or gettext)
>
> OR is it like: rst is the source, and we generate gettext for the
> translators?

For translating rst files there are 2 approaches:

1. translate each single .rst file (like in the QGIS-CookBook)
2. translate the gettext file

the second approach is more maintainable because you will have the
possibility to see at any time the current differences from master
document (if any), and just translate that ones.

I think every language team may choose the preferred approach, but I
would suggest the 2nd, even if at the beginning will be quiet painful
to translate the initial .po files (because it is mainly a manual
effort).
And what's more, with the 1th, you will need to generate yourself the
.rst files from your local version of TEX

hope is clear ;)

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net