[Qgis-community-team] languages for docs

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon Nov 19 01:05:56 PST 2012

Hi,

Am Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:46:46 +0100
schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>:

> Hi List,
>
> I get several emails of people willing to translate the documentation.
>
> I think we need a little formal procedure for this.
>
> I propose:
> - Werner (if he still want it to do :-) ) as uber-chef for translations
> (I can assist with things) and 'central point of ... contact' ;-)
> - for every language at this moment, make the current desktop maintainer
> also the documentation translation maintainer (then he/she can split up
> the tasks internally, or let us know that he/she is not able to do this)

yes

> This means for example that we (or at least Werner) have to have a list
> of email addresses for all maintainers so we can bring new translators
> into contact with a given language maintainer (maybe we can create
> emailadresses for this?

We used the project organigram (a list in the wiki) for that and could
update/adapt it:

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Project_Organigram#Community-Resources

> Like nl at qgis.org being a redirect to the dutch
> language maintainer)
>
> Is this plan ok?
> @Werner I'm willing to help you with this.

I can help as well ...

> Related:
>
> Should I just add all languages that we have for the desktop as flags in
> the documentation structure? Or only of languages I think/know there are
> translators.?
>
> (one drawback of adding a lot of languages is that the scripts take a
> much longer time to run).
>
> I think it will be more translation-friendly to just add all flags :-)

If we build the "empty" languages, we should only take those who really
exist or have a team working on it. But maybe we can add the flags without
building it?