[Qgis-community-team] languages for docs

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Nov 19 01:25:12 PST 2012

On 11/19/2012 10:00 AM, Werner Macho wrote:
> Hi Richard!
> So my suggestion is to keep GUI, Documentation and all other Translators
> together .. (qgis-tr list)
> To my point of view we are getting more and more people wanting to help
> (which is very good) but on the other side the infrastructure for them
> is not in place right now.
>
> So maybe we should just ask them to subscribe to the translators list
> and make an announcement there once another milestone (possible to
> translate in browser for example) is done and ready to be used.

Ok. Thanks. Good point.

To be honest, I thought this community-team list was also handling the
translation issues. I was not aware of a qgis-tr list :-( .

In my opinion, pointing people to this list(s) is a (technical) bridge
to far for most translators. I think the first contact should be with
the translation maintainer, which of course should be subscribed himself
  (eg I forward certain emails to all dutch translators directly).

Current infrastructure is in flow, but I would not discourage new
'recruits' to start with just translating a single po file or so :-)

Regarding flags: I was thinking of some standard message in the website
which says something like: "he, is this page not translated? What about
translating it yourself" with a link to translation instructions or
translate.qgis.org
Besides this we can make a link to translate.google.org (like gislab has
for certain pages: http://gis-lab.info/qa/qgis-georef-new-eng.html).
This works pretty well I think.

Richard

ps I will subscribe on qgis_tr now...