[Qgis-community-team] web/doc site structure

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Tue Nov 20 00:17:06 PST 2012

Hi,

currently it is messy at documentation.qgis.org

there are actually two versions currently available there:

http://documentation.qgis.org
   will point you to
http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/user_manual/

which is in my point of view obsolete (it is an old version!)

This should be the starting point

documentation.qgis.org/html/en/

I have been trying to create a tree with two stems:

docs
website

But this broke the poodle stuff (I think). I do not have access to the
server, so I cannot fix it myself.

The situation where we have the idea that we can both use poodle (with
very short commit/push actions) and working via github/po files for
translation will probably fail because of the git-conflicts that are
likely to occur.

I've been fighting with the automatic table of contents (TOC) creation
of Sphinx. The stuff you see in the left bar is actually sphinx
generated. I wanted it to be a logical 'menu' like toc, but I think I
failed.

So please help or give some input to decide:

- is the division in docs/website nessecary or only bloat (we can easily

- should we decide for ONE translation process (eg only poodle, because
you need the least technical knowledge (as a translator))

- should we create the menu stuff in the left bar ourselves (by
generating a truly tree like structure in which we give every node their
own menu.html)

- Paolo's point about being en-centric is very valid, please think with
us about a solution to for example start with a russian or spanisch help
text for a doc (IF this is possible)

- we need a tree structure in which we then also can house little help
articles like the person in Paolo's mail was mentioning

- why is the documentation not rebuild every day (crontab is failing?)

I still fully support the sphinx/rst model, but we need some more love
to put in it to get this thing running.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde