[Qgis-community-team] manual 1.8 as html and pdf

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Sun Jan 6 01:14:24 PST 2013

Hi,

Am Sun, 6 Jan 2013 09:55:33 +0200
schrieb Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>:

> Hi
>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
> wrote:
> > On 05-01-13 16:49, Otto Dassau wrote:
> >
> >> Apart from the update, we are still about to improve the infrastructure
> >> and
> >> translation environment. And of course we need to update content for the
> >> next release, which will provide again a lot of new features.
> >>
> >> As a next step I will create a branch for the translations next week so
> >> we can move on updating to the next version in master.
> >

> > Hi Otto,
> >
> > great, thanks for all the work!
> >
> > Do we already have a plan how to work it out in the documentation
> > process?
> >
> > As you proposed in an earlier webmail, we can start with a branch of
> > current repo. Which actually is both the website and a documentation
> > part. Only the documentation part (of this 1.8 branch) should be
> > 'frozen', and deployed in some kind of 1.8 branch/uri in the docs
> > website. The website part of the master-repo will evolve further in our
> > 'normal' website?

I don't understand exactly what you mean. If we branch, it has to be the
complete repo with all docs and the web - right? Or is there another way to
only extract the 1.8 manual? I don't see the best solution yet.

And yes, we should make it possible, that we provide both, the 'frozen' 1.8
with all translations and the evolving master in the web (without/with
translations)?

> > OR should we just copy the User Manual directory in a 'User Manual 1.8'
> > directory in current master? It is not very 'gitty', but I think it
> > should be ok and more 'natural' because it is only the 'User Manual'
> > which is really version bound?
> >

> my opinion is that we should make a branch per version. If you make
> directories rather its going to be hard to merge upstream/downstream
> changes into master.

I am also in favour of creating branches to be able to merge changes, if
necessary.