[Qgis-community-team] Doc translation and related issues

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Jan 7 04:17:56 PST 2013

On 07-01-13 11:19, Marie Silvestre wrote:
> I'm back with a list of questions and remarks... (sorry!)

No Problem !

> First, it seems I do not have the rights to merge my last pull request
> (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/32) or I can't see
> where to click...

Tim is the admin for Github, I asked (email) him to give you commit rights.

> Then I was wondering if the pre_translate script is running because some
> strings have obviously been updated since the first translation but do
> not appear in the po files (and these parts stay in English in the doc...).

I think it is (Otto?)

Maybe I screwed up some files for you. Sorry. Because your first pull
request I could not automatically merge anymore, so I have tried to
merge it here locally via the pre en post scripts.
Maybe I failed :-(

Another option would be that there is a small change in the sentence?
Maybe the po merge then fails, and falls back to the english version?

Can you run the scripts locally? Is it working with you there?
Or can you give me an example, so I can have a look here locally?

> Do we have to fill the po files header?

Not sure if it is good for something? If somebody thinks it is good,
please stand up :-)
Otherwise: maybe make it som general qgis header?

> There are 2 links for the doc :
> http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/user_manual/index.html
> http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/index.html
> Which one is which?
> (the first link is given in the QGIS-Documentation/readme.rst file)

These are exactly the same.
The first one is a apache rewrite rule for http://documentation.qgis.org

Actually I think (after we filled the web site some more):

http://documentation.qgis.org should point to a page like this:
http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/docs/index.html

while
http://www.qgis.org should point to
http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/index.html

> Finally I have found an error in the en doc (both versions!) :
> http://documentation.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/qgis_gui.html#toolbar
> "If you have accidentally hidden all your toolbars, you can get them
> back by choosing menu option /Settings ‣ Toolbars ‣/."
> Should be menu option "View" instead of "Settings".

You could change it in the english version (that is the rst file that is
in the sources directory).
BUT be carefull with this. Because the names in the menus are different
for different OS'es. I think what is written is valid for Linux. If it
is different for Windows, we should maybe tell both ways?

Regards,

Richard