[Qgis-community-team] Wish to translate the Q-GIS document to HINDI

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sun May 5 08:15:48 PDT 2013

On 03-05-13 11:21, Ajaze Parvez khan wrote:
> Richard i am trying to help 1.3 billion population by letting them understand and reach QGIS...as we all are comfortable with our language only...
> there still may be some shortcoming in my PREAMBLE folder files..find time to tell me pointwise and for sure i am destined to complete the complete translation within this month...

Hi Ajaze,

I'm trying out the 4 pull requests from you for the preample folder of
QGIS docs.

Two files are ok, while two others are not. The one with the
conventions.po gives problems when I run the normal scripts to generate
all the docs:

https://github.com/ajazepk/QGIS-Documentation/blob/ac6dc3ed09852868954de4d0d346b6aa05842f4b/i18n/hi/LC_MESSAGES/docs/user_manual/preamble/conventions.po

While your features.po

https://github.com/ajazepk/QGIS-Documentation/blob/91a272e396c906557a5c0347eb225a653dc2d385/i18n/hi/LC_MESSAGES/docs/user_manual/preamble/features.po

appears to do fine.

I'm not sure yet if I'm doing something wrong here, but one thing I see
is that in the conventions.po the (for me readable) english 'header' of
the file is translated. While in the features.po it is still intact.

I thought you told me that you are using Linguist, so I'm wondering if
it is maybe Linguist (when YOU run it in hindi) that creates this hindi
'header'-format.

If so, we should try to handle this in the scripts.

BUT, looking into for example the russion translations of Alexander Bruy:

https://github.com/alexbruy/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/i18n/ru/LC_MESSAGES/docs/user_manual/preamble/conventions.po

It seems (to me) that this header information should stay there in English??

So Please let me know if you handled these two file in different ways.

After I loaded the files into linguist and just saved them again, all
was fine.
The only thing changed then (by my Linguist) you can see here:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/commit/8193a11537ea3f1873025b86e4a0ff8d0f443274#i18n/hi/LC_MESSAGES/docs/user_manual/preamble/help_and_support.po

As you can see the 'headers' there are still in hindi BUT working. It is
not clear to me what exactly 'breaks' our scripts.

It would be nice if you could arrange someone with a linux computer to
run the scripts yourself for hindi. In that way you could test new
translations for yourself first.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde