[Qgis-community-team] change usage of index

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon May 13 22:36:13 PDT 2013

Hi Diethard,

good suggestion. I added this to the documentation_guidelines/README.rst

a) If you use terms, that don't need to be translated, then we use this

   .. index:: WMS, WFS, WCS, CAT, SFS, GML

b) If you use terms, that need to be translated, then we use this

   Two interesting :index:`actions` are shown below...

Am Mon, 13 May 2013 22:27:19 +0200
schrieb Diethard Jansen <diethard.jansen at gmail.com>:

> Hi Otto,
>
> I agree that if those indexes (hidden from translator) include words that
> need translation they should be removed from those indexes.
>
> I added a few of those indexes that are placed before each section. However
> I took care that it did not include words that needed translation (I
> thought). So they include standarised terms like WMS, WFS, DXF, AutoCad
> etc..
>
> The big advantage is that jumping to a declared index before a section
> brings you really to that section. If you use an inline index declared in
> the text you will overshoot and end up below the text where the index was
> actually declared. The problem is a bit bigger with current theme.
>
> Regards,
> Diethard.
>

> 2013/5/12 Otto Dassau <dassau at gbd-consult.de>
>
> > Hi
> >
> > for the manual we also create an index, which is nice, but can not be
> > used by linguist for translation at the moment, if we do it this way.
> >
> > .. index:: WMS, WFS, WCS, CAT, SFS, GML
> >
> > Instead I would suggest, that for the future (in master) we integrate the
> > index syntax into the text, so it can be translated as well, like in this
> > example.
> >
> > Two interesting :index:`actions` are shown below...
> >
> > Hope this ok and I would like to ask, if someone would be able to spend
> > some
> > time and go through the current master document of the user manual and
> > change all index syntax. Please send an email to the list, so we can
> > organize it.
> >
> > btw: I changed this in the documentation_guidelines/README.rst file.
> >
> > Regards
> > Otto

Geoinformatik Büro Dassau - http://www.gbd-consult.de
FOSSGIS consulting , training , support  and analysis
Ackerstrasse 144c  ,  D - 40233 Düsseldorf ,  Germany
Tel: +49-(0)211-47468178 , Mobile: +49-(0)171-4687540

--
Community Advisor - QGIS Project Steering Committee