[Qgis-community-team] translation of the documentation (transifex)

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Oct 14 08:46:38 PDT 2013

On 14-10-13 16:23, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> 2013/10/14 Otto Dassau <dassau at gbd-consult.de>:
>> that is a good idea. Btw: are the changes in github updated to the
>> translation files in transifex regularly (by cronjob)?
>
> AFAIK, transifex for docs and website are not in sync with github
> and github not in sync with transifex. So we have outdated files in
> transifex and no or outdated translations in github.

Noooooooo :-)

Transifex IS (SHOULD be) in sync with sources, both for
QGIS-Website and for QGIS-Documentation (master).

Not yet syncing regularly (I thought that this is not really needed),
and doing it by hand, but ready co create crons for it.

QGIS-Website I updated (pushed sources/pot to) transifex yesterday.
QGIS-Documentation I pushed to transifex... I think 8 days ago.

To keep Github .po files (translations) a little in sync (actually this
should not be necessary, because Transifex holds our translations), I
pull(!) translations/.po files from transifex into github:

QGIS-Website: 10 days ago:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/commit/4637f5de33dcd0edec7480e28d751a4c07739fda

QGIS-Documentation, 6 days ago:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/commits/master/i18n/ru/LC_MESSAGES/index.po

when I pull from transifex, all translations in Github are overwritten
(as, I repeat: transifex is canonical source of translations). Also
because I think there is no clear way to (3way) merge a new pot file,
the old .po file and the new one from tx.

So to be clear:

Both for Website and Documentation. Transifex is canonical TRANSLATION
source. You can do offline translation, BUT only by
downloading/uploading a .po file from transifex. Translated .po files in
Github are by definition outdated.

Transifex TRANSLATION-SOURCES (actually not the pot files, you just
upload 'en' as the source files), we/I should update more regularly....
 (preferebly via cron job). There is already a make rule:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/Makefile#L155

For QGIS-Website, there will always be just one translation version off
course.
For QGIS-Documentation: currently we are translating master branch, BUT
as soon as we branch of 2.0 we will sync THAT branch with transifex, and
master will NOT be translated anymore. In this way we only have 1
translation process going for docs.

I hope this is more clear now.

Maybe I should write down the process more in the website somewhere?

Anyway: please use transifex for translating... now :-)
Both for website AND for documentation (current transifex translations
will be the 2.0 docs translation!).

If not clear. Please ask.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde