[Qgis-community-team] foss4g & esri

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 06:47:00 PDT 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:19:47 +0200
Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> I'm currently at the esri goes open source on github presentation.
> They have the flex viewer, Geocoder widget, Terraformer,
> esri-leaflet, geoportal server, gis tools for hadoop
> The presenter mostly listed the different projects.

Hi,

I have been at the presentation at well (/me waves at Anita from first
row :) )

Should the discussion not belong to this list, feel free to redirect it
in the more appropriate one.

I think that a good aspect of this move from Esri is that their
customers and developers are exposed to github workflow (where many
open source projects are hosted) and to the words "open source". I
think that this can make the transition to open source less abrupt than
before.

Many other Esri decisions are not compatible with open source
principles, but I think that it is a small step forward. Everyone is
free to build up his/her personal opinion on this, of course :)

> Best wishes
> Anita

Best,
Anne

>  On Sep 20, 2013 8:21 AM, "matteo" <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Dear qgis users and developers,
> > surfing the foss4g website I discoverd that ESRI is an official
> > sponsor of the event (http://2013.foss4g.org/sponsors/esri-uk/)
> > Am I the only one that find it quite strange?!  It's quite
> > controversial that ArcGis is promoted as a GIS software during a
> > free open source software conference... or isn't it?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Matteo

Anne
--