[Qgis-community-team] Creating Educational Resources For QGIS

Colin D. MacLeod cdmacleod at GISinEcology.com
Tue Mar 18 13:50:28 PDT 2014

Hi List Members,

I am hoping that someone might be able to answer a quick query for me, and apologies if this isn’t the right place to be asking it.

I have written and published a series of GIS workbooks for marine biologists based around ArcGIS. However, I regularly get requests for similar resources for free/open source GIS.

Would there be any issues in publishing a GIS workboook based around QGIS? In particular, would the production of a commercial, for profit workbook be at odds with the open source ethos of QGIS? Any profit made would be used to fund the academic research I do on whales and dolphins.

SImilarly, are there any isses with offering commercial training courses based around QGIS? Again, this is something often get request for, but so far all the training I provide is based around ArcGIS and I would like to be able to offer an open-source alternative. Again, this is something I do to support my academic research.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this as I wouldn’t want to progress with this project if it goes against the ethos of QGIS and the community that supports it.

All the best,

Colin

GIS IN ECOLOGY - Providing Training, Advice And Consultancy On The Use Of GIS In Ecology

Web: www.GISinEcology.com Email: info at GISinEcology.com

Need to ask a question about using GIS? Try the GIS In Ecology Forum: www.GISinEcology.com/GIS_in_Ecology_forum.htm

Books From GIS In Ecology Staff:

An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology; RRP: £44.99
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology: Supplementary Workbook One - Creating Maps Of Species Distribution; RRP: £19:99
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology: Supplementary Workbook Two - Working With Raster Data Layers; RRP: £19.99

If you wish to purchase these books, visit: http://www.gisinecology.com/Book_Shop.htm

To help the environment, please do not print out this email unless it is unavoidable.