[Qgis-community-team] 2.12 documentation

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Oct 5 07:45:28 PDT 2015

On 05-10-15 15:28, DelazJ wrote:
>     - AFTER QGIS 2.12 release we will branch a 2.12 and build ONLY english
>     version and make it online available
>
> No translation for 2.12? I'd prefer to have *translatable* any published
> manual. When helping someone on a french forum, it's rather rude to send
> him an english link doc (not that french don't speak english :) but...
> ). And it means that since 2.8, there won't be translated documentation
> (in spite of those many new features) until next LTR?
> Wouldn't it be better to keep active our translators (a kind of
> "rendez-vous") after each release? This could be easy if the call for
> crowfunding is a success.

Well, the idea was to keep the translations focussed to one release: the
LTR one. Currently only dutch and french have 100% translated (2.8!) docs

The idea was that when we would translate 2.8, 2.10 and 2.12 all in
parallel in Transifex at least for the other languages this would not
work (we thought): as soon as there would be a 2.12 release, people
would stop translating 2.8?!
While the LTR version_ is -well from a release/maintenance standpoint- a
little more important because the idea is that those releases are used
by universities, so best to have these translated...

Building all releases in (currently 18) languages every day and make
them available online also stresses our resources, there is not a
technical issue to set this up...

In my view, it would be best to concentrate all community energy FIRST
in getting the english docs uptodate.
If THAT is a fact we can have a look into making that translatable.
First things first...

My preference still is to have a 100% up to date english documentation
for every QGIS release, and a 100% up to date translation of every LTR

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps
What about using Google translate in between LTR's?
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&sl=en&tl=fr&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.qgis.org%2Ftesting%2Fen%2Fdocs%2Ftraining_manual%2Fprocessing%2Ffirst_saga_alg.html