[Qgis-community-team] Split or not some long chapters into shorter pages?

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 04:06:00 PST 2016

Hi documenters,

There's currently a discussion (
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/760) whether long one-page
chapters should be divided into shorter pages (files) or not.
Richard is less enthusiastic with split because he's afraid that increasig
the number of files (thus pages) means more resources, more clicks and may
increase the build (and transifex-push) time.
At the other hand, short and single-feature pages easier navigation,
reading, updating, ensures no repetition and, given that QGIS features are
increasing, we risk to end up with very long and less usable pages
(scrolling is difficult, no way to directly reach section of interest...).

An example can be viewed here:
http://docs.qgis.org/2.8/en/docs/user_manual/print_composer/print_composer.html
vs
http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/print_composer/index.html

We'd like to hear your voices about splitting chapters in general and
especially in PR 760 on splitting Editing vector layer chapter (
http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/editing_geometry_attributes.html
).

I also made a Pull Request on splitting layer vector properties (see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/776). now broken but
comments are welcome.

PS: note that in PR760, there's also a discussion about how to better
structure the "Working with vector layer" chapter. It's worth your
comments, too.

Regards,
Harrissou