[Qgis-community-team] Merging QGIS Server docs from wiki and main docs?

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 15 07:23:55 PDT 2016

Hi!
The Windows part of this needs to be completely revised and tested.
Firstly, it is outdated, second it does not work and third it's written by
someone who declares: "Working on/in windows means for me like working with
ten thumbs on two left hands -- or:
I am not a windows expert! And normally I even do not have easy access to
any winbox. So this howto explains
how I got QGIS server up and running but might not always show the ideal
way."

Not very reassuring, and not surprising, it does not work.

Offer of sponsorship
I hereby offer unlimited admin access to a Windows 2012 R2 server in the
cloud, to install QGIS and QGIS Server, configure it and publish one QGIS
project, and document and publish reproduceable step by step-instructions
for this platform.
Admin access will be granted for a reasonable time, to anyone in the QGIS
community who wants to do this, and has sufficient QGIS and Windows
experience. I will decide who gets access, and will monitor and follow up
on the process.
The resulting documention will of course be part of the QGIS Server manual.
The candidate may select which web server to use, even if I would prefer
IIS.
The candidate may also select the kind of data source for the published WMS
service.
I will provide one vanilla Windows 2012 server cloud machine for a limited
time which is negiotiable.

Regards, Mats.E

> Hi,
>
> The main docs [1] mention "For user contributed installation instructions
> on other platforms or distributions, we recommend reading one of the
> following URLs:
> http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/QGIS_Server_Tutorial"
>
> The wiki page covers Debian/Ubuntu, Centos, OSX, and Windows but also goes
> into configuration issues thus duplicating the main docs.
>
> Any particular reason to keep some information on the wiki and others in
> the main docs? To me, it would seem more clear if we moved all OS
> instructions to the main docs and just leave a note on the wiki page
> pointing to the main docs.
>
> Best wishes,
> Anita
>

> [1]
> http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/ogc_server_support.html

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com <mats.elfstrom at telia.com>