[Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-developer] Moving the install instructions to a more sexy, visible, coherent and translatable page in qgis.org

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed May 18 11:53:02 PDT 2016

On 18-05-16 12:49, DelazJ wrote:
>     After rereading the thread I think I am +1 for moving to RST in the
>     QGIS Docs repo with the following thinking:
>
> Is the Doc repo a better candidate for this (if we get the go!) than
> QGIS website?
>
> * QGIS Website is always translatable, so can easily show the most
> recent procedure in different languages. It also provides a chapter on
> development steps, might be worth having this beside.
> * Using website, we have a unique hyperlink (to use in our communication
> if needed) instead of having to update it after each released doc
> * testing doc (which in the ideal world, is related to master) is not to
> be translated
> * not all QGIS versions are/will be documented: the last doc provided is
> 2.8. The next should be 2.14 (btw, still looking for volunteers to write
> it - around 80 issues remaining and not the least) but when will be the
> release?

I'm ok with both, but personally think docs is better, because
compilation instructions are docs, and not website :-)
But I agree with your points too.

Next docs release is when doc writers decide it is enough :-)
At that time I branch a new '2.14' and create the translation files and
push them to transifex.
Maybe try to finish after Girona? Ask as much people as possible to
help, pick the 'most important' issues first, and then just call it a
day (leave the other issues open)?

Regards,

Richard