[Qgis-community-team] Plugin author emails after the GDPR apocalypse

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Jun 28 13:12:44 PDT 2018

Hi

> On 28 Jun 2018, at 21:15, Maik Riechert <maik.riechert at arcor.de> wrote:

8< —— snip ——

> I'd like to ask again what the purpose of this email address is since I got different answers so far. I was told it was for "administrative purposes" only. What does this mean exactly? And is it true? From the above discussion it seems the purpose is more wide. My main confusion is also: What about the email address of the osgeo account? Isn't that enough for administrative purposes? Why is it not used?

I think the answer is quite simple here: You are distributing your software using our (QGIS.ORG community) project infrastructures. We need to be able to get hold of you if your software is causing an issue etc. Furthermore users may want to engage with the author of a plugin to ask them things, collaborate, share ideas and so on. Being an open project it seems to me very consistent that things are transparent and contributors are contactable.

Regards

Tim

> Cheers
> Maik